Out of the Darkness...

and into the light.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Birthdays

So I'm thinking about this even though my birthday is still more than a month away. I really don't know if I want to celebrate my birthday. I think last year all I did was spend some time with the person I was dating. I don't think we even did anything special because I can't even remember it. More than anything I am looking to it as a day of dread. I can't decide which year was worse; the one where I had a crappy time with my friends, was completely worn out and found a wounded pigeon on the side of the road or the year where I tried to have a birthday party and the only person to show up was an hour late.
I can remember one happy birthday, which was in grade 10. My best friend, at the time, bought me a crown that said happy birthday on it (which I believe I still have somewhere in my room) and she told me I had to wear it during 4th period. I don't remember whether or not I did. I think I did at least partly because it made me feel special to have someone give me attention by giving me a birthday hat. And after that we went to Tim Hortons and she bought me a slice of cake and put whipped cream on my nose.
I also remember one good birthday party which took place a month after my actual birthday. I remember having fun, but I don't remember anything else. At the very least I had invited people that I cared about instead of inviting people that I think would show up just to make me feel special (like I did in elementary school when I had no friends).
So I am not looking forward to this year. Ideally my birthday cake will be some sort of chocolate cheesecake because I really love chocolate and cheesecake. And of course there would be a lot of people there to tell me how wonderful and special I am and to pay attention to me. I don't really care about presents. For me the funnest part of presents is undoing the wrapping paper, of course that might be because whenever I get presents it's from people who don't really know my personality and don't know what to get me (BTW Jamie I love the necklace you got me).
I don't know whether or not I should try to organize a party and then end up being disappointed and feeling like I'm really alone or if I should treat it like another day and just feel lonely. I don't want to plan a birthday party because I don't want to have people telling me they have things to do that are more important than spending time with me. I get that enough on a day to day basis. And if I ask someone else to plan it then who knows if they're really reliable and actually going to come through on it. I think I'd be better off just treating it like another day so that I don't have to feel like everyone else has more important things to do.

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:52:00 PM, Blogger Beckers said…

    Well, that is deep...I grew up having one of my best friends turn my party every year into a war between 2 groups of people, usually leaving me alone with one best friend in my room... ;o(
    But, one year (after i moved to the T.O.) my bestest-ez had a suprise partAY a month before my birthday at Mc D's...my favorite...and i was so freaked out because it was full of all the people i know...even family from BC!!! Way cool, I love B.days now!!

     

<< Home